Monday, September 17, 2012

The Big 30!

Happy birthday to my handsome hubby today! 
We have been celebrating all weekend and I'll post about that later. 



I did want to record what we got him for his birthday.  Back in April, I had the idea to surprise him with Broncos tickets.  I figured you only turn 30 once and I wanted it to be a fun birthday for him.  I talked with his brother, Jared to see if it was something he was interested in going to with Ryan for his birthday.  He was, and that is where the whole idea got started.  I had thought about having me go with him, but knew that he would have a lot more fun at the game with his brother talking about sports and soaking it all in.  It would need to be only a weekend and they would need to fly to get there, since the 8 hour drive wouldn't work for such a short trip. 
From that point on, I started stashing money away so that Ryan wouldn't see a huge amount come out all at once and get suspicious about what it was for.  He is so hard to surprise and I really wanted this to work.  I contacted a friend from high school who has season tickets to the games to see if they were selling them for a few games during the season.  We went back and forth for a few months and finally decided on game for them to attend.  We met up to get the tickets/money back in August.  When I finally had the tickets in my hand, I knew it was going to be hard to keep it from Ryan.  
I had Ryan's brother book the airline tickets and this is where the surprise was almost given away.  His brother emailed me and copied his mom on the itinerary.  I hadn't told his mom anything about the tickets and it was sent to an email account that she rarely checks.  In fact, Ryan's dad checks it more often that she does.  I was in panic mode and called his mom that night telling her what had happened and that she needed to keep it a secret. Come to find out Ryan's dad had seen the email and even mentioned to Ryan that he saw his flight itinerary for September.  Ryan didn't think much of it and brought it up with Jared - Jared had a good cover up and said that it must have been for their mom and their dad was confused.  When I heard about this I about had a heart attack!  Jared re-assured me that he thought Ryan was OK with the story he told him and wasn't asking any more questions about it. 
Ryan's parents were coming in town for Jared's white coat ceremony and I didn't want anything to leak out while they were here and Ryan was already making work trip plans and I figured I had to tell him about the present. 
One Friday after work, he was watching Bronco highlights and I thought that was the perfect time to give him his gift.  I went and got the tickets from my secret hiding spot and had them behind my back.  I told him to push pause on the video because I had something for him.  I handed him the envelope and he opened it up.  When he pulled out the printed airline itinerary first he was a little confused, so I told him there was more in the envelope.  He pulled out the tickets and was speechless!  It was just the reaction I was hoping for - he was totally surprised and he loved it!  He was so excited - the next morning he still couldn't believe he was going to a Broncos game.  I was so glad he loved his present (I knew he would) and that he was surprised.....I'll never forget the look on his face when he saw the tickets, it was priceless!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad he ended up surprised since we almost slipped up!