Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Grandma D.



Monday, morning (4/29) at 5:55 am my cute grandma passed away.  She had been in an assisted living facility in Sandy for over a year and had the beginnings of dementia.  She went into the hospital about a month ago for pneumonia - but come to find out it was caused by her swallowing food and it would go into her lungs.  After the hospital determined they wouldn't be able to do anything about the pneumonia she left there and went to CareSource, a facility on 4500 South and 1600 East for people who need extra special care.  She was basically bed bound from that point on and declined rapidly.  Tammy was able to come from Georgia a couple of weekends ago to see grandma and everyone in the family was able to see her and spend time with her.  She stopped eating and was drinking very little at the beginning of last week - so we knew it was only a matter of time before she would pass away.  
My dad called at 6:30 am on Monday morning to tell me the news that she had passed.  Even though we all knew it was coming, it still doesn't make the news any easier to take.  I finished getting ready and dropped Nolan off at his school.  I stopped by CareSource on my way to work and i'm glad that I did.  Paulie, Scottie, Nae, mom and dad were all there making arrangements for the funeral.  They asked me to talk at the funeral on behalf of the grandkids and share memories with grandma.  We all went to Chuckarama with everyone that night.  


Grandma was the nicest person I have known.  She never raised her voice at anyone and loved living the gospel.  She will be missed and I will miss her a lot, but am glad she is finally reunited with grandpa.

No comments: