Monday, October 10, 2011

To Utah and Back....

Wednesday, October 5

Our flight left super early in the morning – I’m talking 6:00 am so I was up at 3:30 am to get us out the door on time. Luckily for us, security and the bag check line was nonexistent which never happens for us and we were done with everything and at our gate within 10 minutes of being dropped off. I went up to the counter to ask for a gate check tag for the car seat before we began boarding. The lady at the desk was very helpful and asked if I wanted a seat for the baby instead of having him on my lap the whole flight…well it took me a whole 2 seconds to answer that question….Yes, please! Our flight was basically empty, which again, never happens to us. Everyone on the plane had their own row with the exception of me and the lady in front of me who had car seats in the seats next to us. Nolan did great on the flight up to Minneapolis – sleeping most of the flight. The flight to SLC was good too, but he had to sleep on my lap this time which meant he didn’t sleep the whole flight. But again, he did great and didn’t cry at all on either plane ride.

My sister picked us up from the airport and we were so excited to see her and her son Corbin. Every time I go to SLC it feels so familiar and I love it! I love the mountains, the straight streets, how I know where I am going in the city and how things have changed, yet they feel the same at the same time. My dad came home early from work to see us and we spent the afternoon chatting, getting haircuts and enjoying the time together. Eventually my mom and Josh got home from work and we all enjoyed a nice dinner from Café Rio. Jared came over to my parent’s house to see us and it was good to see him.

Thursday, October 6

My dad took the next few days off while we were in town. We ran a few errands to Harmon’s and Costco. I took Nolan and went to visit my friend, Sara, from my old work. It was great seeing her and I could not believe how much her daughters have grown up. I guess that is what happens when you don’t see someone for 2 years.


I had my mom make tuna casserole for dinner. Macy came up from Provo and we all played the card game scum while watching baseball playoffs. Ryan went with Jared to pick out a shirt for his med school interviews. Oh and the weather was very cold – I’m talking it snowed in the mountains and on the benches. Definitely were not prepared to see snow on this trip.

Friday, October 7

We enjoyed a great breakfast together – French toast with cinnamon swirl bread from Kneaders. It was amazing! Josh came home in between class and work. The boys went to lunch at an Indian place downtown, dropped Josh off at work, went to Jared’s lab and then came back home. The girls and Nolan went to lunch at Olive Garden and to the mall to do some shopping. Wish Collie and her boys could have been there too but they were down at Lake Powell for the weekend. Grandma D came up for dinner and we had BLT’s at my request. Jared came over, Macy came up from Provo and we all watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Saturday, October 8

I wish I could say we slept in this morning, but no such luck. We met up with the Sanders family at IHOP for breakfast. It is always fun to see them and we are glad they are flexible when we are in town so we are able to meet up. We took Nolan to my cousin’s house so she could watch him while we went to the U game. This was definitely a highlight of the weekend. The weather was a little chilly during the first half of the game. I had to settle for hot chocolate instead of a snow cone….The sun came out for the second half which was nice. The Utes lost to Arizona State, but it was still fun to see a game in Rice Eccles Stadium. My aunt and uncle have a snow come machine at their house, when we went to pick up Nolan my cousin made me a snow cone which made my afternoon! My dad had the good idea to put some stew in the crock pot before we left for the game so when we got home we had dinner waiting for us. It was perfect!

Sunday, October 9

Once again we had an early flight out of town – I did this on purpose so we weren’t getting back to Raleigh so late. The bag check and security lines were empty once again, we really lucked out on that this trip. I was also able to get Nolan a seat again on the flight to Atlanta. He slept the whole 3 hour flight…I did too. J Nolan slept for about half the flight from Atlanta to Raleigh, but that flight is only 57 minutes which seemed like nothing after flying for 3 hours earlier that day. The trip went too quick and it is always sad leaving family. Thanks mom and dad for the great trip and to the other family members for coming to see us while we were in town!

No comments: