Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Greatest Snow on Earth!

On Presidents Day we decided it would be fun to go skiing.  We hadn't been in a long time and I was looking forward to enjoying the snow again.  We couldn't find a sitter for Nolan, so we decided it would be a good time to have him try skiing.  We met at my parents house on Monday at 1:30 pm.  Jared, Nolan, Me, Ryan, Macy, Josh, Collie, Zach, Easton, Corbin and my mom came on this adventure.  The whole morning we wanted skiing videos on YouTube to show Nolan what skiing was and what to expect.  We drove up to Alta since they have the tow rope for kids and it is $10 to ski between 3:00 pm and 4:30 pm.  Not too shabby!

Ryan, my mom and Nolan went to rent skis while I went with Jared to buy a pass.  I went to the rental shop to check on Nolan and Ryan since they were taking a little while - the line was long.  I guess everyone in Utah had the same idea we did.  It was our turn to get skis and Nolan flipped out.  He hasn't ever had a meltdown like this.  Face turned red from screaming, flopped backwards and would not let the rental guy help him.  Ryan and my mom moved over to the benches in the store to put on their boots.  I tried to keep Nolan under control, but he just sprawled out on the floor.  I was very impressed that both Ryan and I kept it together and didn't get mad at Nolan.  We walked outside with everyone and I told Nolan that the only way he would get do join in the fun was to go back into the store to get skis.  He didn't want to and I was alright with that.  We wanted Nolan to have a good experience skiing since we will be doing this our whole life and didn't want him to have a negative memory of skiing. 

Ryan and Jared went off to ski, everyone else had started toward the tow rope.  I sat with Nolan while everyone else left.  I told Nolan what would need to happen in the store if he wanted to ski - he would need to take his boots off to get sized for new ski boots, he would need to get measured for how tall he was to get the right skis.  I asked him if he wanted to try again and he said "No."  We sat there for maybe 5 minutes and I just kept asking Nolan if he wanted to try skiing and what that would mean if we went back into the store.  Eventually (5 minutes after everyone left), he said he wanted to ski.  So, we went back into the rental store and tried it again.  This time it was night and day different.  He stood there and let the rental guy do exactly what he needed to.  He even let him put the boots on.  I was really impressed with Nolan - i'm not sure if he was too overwhelmed the first time or what.  We went outside and got our skis put on and that is when the fun began. 

We skiied down to the tow rope and on the way there Nolan kept telling me to go faster.  He was excited to go on the tow rope and ski down the hill.  The tow rope is exhausting and I was done with it after 3 runs since my arms were tired from holding Nolan between my skis, making sure he made it up the tow rope with me.  Nolan said he had gone to the bathroom in his undies, so I called Ryan and had him come over to us since the car was right above us and I didn't want to carry him over screaming.  Ryan finally came and we went to the car.  Come to find out, Nolan hadn't gone to the bathroom, but he needed to go.

It was a fun time and i'm glad Nolan came with us.  He was a good sport and i'm glad he decided on his own to ski.  I look forward to doing this as a family again.  It was a great day even with all the setbacks. 








written Monday, February 17, 2014

No comments: